Monday, April 29, 2013

DIY: Sugar scrub

Hello everyone! I hope you're having a good Monday! I'm sorry it's been a while since my last post, but here is a new one. So, get excited! Today I'm going to show you how I make my own sugar scrub at home. I have dry skin, so I need a moisturizing scrub. One that will nourish my skin, but get rid of all that flaky dead skin. I tried so many store bought scrubs, and was never happy with how they performed. However, this scrub, gets rid of all my flaky skin, and leaves my skin highly moisturized. There are many recipes for DIY scrubs online, this is how I make mine. The best part is it's natural, and you know exactly what's being put on your skin. All you need is 2 ingredients for a basic scrub. I like to use a few other ingredients, but they aren't necessary to make a good scrub. Lets get into it! 



For a basic scrub you need:
3/4 cup of coconut oil
1 cup of sugar
a mixing bowl
and something to stir with.


You can use any kind of sugar(except powdered sugar). Brown sugar makes for a more gentle scrub. If you have oily skin, you can use salt. I personally can't use salt because it dries out my skin. The finer the grain of your sugar or salt, the more gentle the scrub.The larger the grain the more harsh your scrub will be.

You can use olive oil if you don't have coconut oil on hand. 
The coconut oil I'm using today isn't my first choice. This is just the only one the stores near me have. I am ordering my favorite one soon. I'll link it below. I want to rave about coconut oil, but I'm going to do a separate post on it soon. So, look forward to that! Just know, I love coconut oil, and it's amazing for your skin and hair.




optional ingredients:
Honey(pure, raw honey is best) for it's natural antimicrobial properties
Vanilla, for a lovely scent
Jojoba oil, beneficial as a moisturizer
Almond oil, helps cure acne
Grapeseed oil, for it's ability to nourish the skin

All of these optional ingredients have so many more benefits than I have listed. However, you don't need to add these items for the scrub to be amazing. These ingredients just make it even more amazing.

Step 1: 
Measure out 3/4 cup of coconut oil. You might need to melt it depending on the temperature of your house. I had to melt mine on the stove for less than a minute to get it to this consistency. You don't have to melt it, but it does mix easier when you do.

If you're making the basic sugar scrub with just two ingredients, skip down to step six.

Step 2:
If you're adding any extra oils, this is when you add them. I added 1 tsp each of, almond, jojoba, and grapeseed oil.


Step 3:
This is another optional step. Add any skin safe fragrance you'd like at this point. You can add a couple drops of your favorite essential oil, or use 1 tsp of vanilla like I did. 

Sometimes, I like to add a couple drops of peppermint oil at this point. It adds a nice tingle, if you like that. Just don't add too much, it's a very potent oil. 

Step 4:
This is another optional step. Add one tablespoon of raw honey. Honey locks in moisture, and is naturally antimicrobial. It helps fight acne, and moisturizes skin. Plus, it adds a heavenly scent. 


Step 5:
Stir all the ingredients together. You want them mixed well before adding the sugar. 


Step 6:
Add 1 cup of sugar. If you want a more abrasive scrub add a little more sugar, if you want a more gentle scrub add a little less. It's easy to customize to your skin, and your needs.

Step 7:
Mix your scrub well. You want to make sure all of the ingredients are evenly distributed. It will kind of look like mashed potatoes. Which is a bit odd, I know, but will smell like a heavenly dessert. 


Step 8:
Put your scrub into a container you can put a lid on. I had a much cuter glass container for mine. However, oil, and water lead to me dropping it and breaking it. So, I'd suggest if you're a little clumsy like I am, use a plastic container.
__________________________________________________

That's all there is to it! Sometimes I like to use a mixer and whip up the scrub, just for fun. It whips up very nicely, but if it heats up too much the fluff with dissipate over time. You could add cosmetic grade dye, to add some fun color if you'd like. 

I like to keep mine in my bathroom. I use it on my whole body, and love to use it just before I shave. Not only does it get rid of dead skin ensuring a closer shave, but the oils left on your skin from the scrub make for a great shave oil. 

To use it, just wet the skin. Take a generous amount and scrub in circular motions. Scrub gently for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Rinse, and pat skin dry. Pat gently as to not remove all of the oils. The oils will absorb into your skin quickly, leaving your skin smooth and moisturized. I like to use it 2-3 times a week. 


I hope you give this scrub a shot, and say Bye Bye, dull, dry, flaky skin!

Thank you for taking time out of your day to read my blog. I hope you found it helpful, and try your hand at making your own sugar scrub. Play with the ingredients, personalize for your skin type. If you have any questions feel free to ask. I'd love to hear from you. Like me on Facebook to see more from me. I'm also on Instagram and Pinterest, and Twitter . Check out my other blog for all things nails. 
Have a blessed day,





No comments:

Post a Comment